peacestartswithme.org

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Matthew Chapter 5

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I think we need to take our bibles more literally. What if when Jesus says "Blessed are the peacemakers", he actually means it? Can I be for war? Am I a peacemaker?

Are we really even Christians? There are so many creationists in this world; why not gospelists? It is so easy to say that Genesis should be taken literally...but then why not the gospels, the very texts that define our faith? Why do we pick the verses in the bible that make it easier for us to believe and to live, and not the verses that make it harder?

What if all Christians actually practiced these 8 statements? I don't think many would be left. When did Christianity become about fulfilling yourself? On what grounds is the prosperity gospel rooted? The gold-plated churches, massive brick cathedrals and parking lots filled with lexuses - where are they in this paragraph? I feel like I need to mourn their existence, because where there is love of money there is no love of God ("you cannot serve both God and Money"). I am devasted to see the trap that these beautiful people fall into: that they will feel god's love when they obtain worldly wealth.

Do I do this?

God, help me to be poor in spirit,
Help me to mourn
Help me to be meek
Help me to hunger and thirst for righteousness,
Help me to be merciful,
Help me to be pure in heart
Help me to be a peacemaker
Help me to prepare for persecution.
At all costs, Lord, help me to gain these qualities that you expect in your followers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home